Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Corner Grocery Store


Many years ago my wife Billie and I once embarked upon a quest in the Park Slope section of Brooklyn in the hopes of finding a certain street corner that time had forgotten. That intersection was still fresh in my memory. How could I ever forget that four-floor red-bricked building topped by a teal green spire? And how could I overlook those finely chiseled glass blocks that separated the street from that building's basement below? The building was a magnificent edifice that adorned the edge of Eleventh Street, off Eighth Avenue, down the block from Prospect Park.

Jack, Mom, Me, & Dad
 

What made this memory so special—and so personal to me—was the thought of a fire- engine–red grocery store that graced this building on the street level.  The neighbors all knew it as Lande & Spaight grocers or L&S for short.  I simply referred to it as "dad's store."

My brother, Jack and I spent many memorable hours helping my dad there. To this day, we can pretty much tell you where anything was in that store. We can tell you about the large gray step  that led into a friendly and busy grocery store and that the closet-sized bathroom was located just past the frozen-food refrigerator, in the furthest reaches of the store. If you needed to know, we could tell you that the White Rock soda bottles stood like bowling pins on the wooden slatted floor across from that refrigerator. Potatoes, onions, carrots, and the like filled clean wooden bins at the front across from the checkout counter, where dad usually stood with a tiny pencil behind his right ear. The chores we did for Dad were simple ones, such as stocking the shelves, dusting the bottles of unrefrigerated sodas, or separating the empty returned bottles in the basement. One of our rewards was a free lunch at "Herman's Ice Cream Parlor," located just across the street on Eleventh Avenue. My menu never varied; my lunch was always the same—tuna on toast with lettuce and tomato and, from the fountain, a large glass of coke with crushed ice and two thin straws.


As time passed, that corner grocery store turned into a dry-cleaning establishment, then evolved into a bodega, then went back to being a grocery store. 



When Billie and I traveled there last, we saw a deli. Through all these changes, I realized at least one thing remained the same—that first dark gray step in the ever-changing corner store is still a doozy.

                  
     "The more things change, the more they remain the same."
Alphonse Karr

8 comments:

  1. Hey, you know what, my ex's father owned his own grocery in brooklyn too for a while. isn't that weird.

    linda - california

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you remember where in Brooklyn? My dad's store was on 11th Street and 8th Ave.

      Delete
  2. My Dad remembers delivering things for your dad and all his tips...LOl!

    Love, Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. I completely forgot that your dad did that. I'm glad he got nice tips.
    My dad would sometime send me out to make a delivery if it was close by. I remember I brought a bag of groceries to the captain of the nearby police precinct. He gave me a dollar for my service and an extra dollar to take the three items he ordered out of the brown bag I brought it in.

    Most of the people I went to were old irish ladies who were thrilled to have a short visit from "Little Jimmy", "Big Jim's" son.

    Does your dad remember Pat Lande who co-owned the store with my dad. My strongest memory of him was listening to him add up numbers on grocery bills. His thick irish brogue made the numbers sound like he was talking with marbles in his mouth.

    Joe Langley worked as a clerk there and had a wonderful sense of humor. He was always making jokes.

    Then there was a very tall fellow by the name of Jimmy who delivered food and helped at the store.

    I'm happy your dad has nice memories of the place or L&S.

    Love,
    Jim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved this. It was very sweet. I enjoyed taking that picture and then putting you and your family in it. The whole thing was a gift we were making for Jack and he loved it. The description of the soda bottles lined up like bowling pins was sheer genius. Love your stuff. Hugs--Your wife--Billie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought this was new because it just showed up in an e-mail. I see that I already commented, but as I reread it today, I was struck by the richness of the detail and the warmth that this conveyed. Worthy of Frank McCourt. Your wife--Billie

    ReplyDelete
  6. My aunt lived across the street from L & S and would send me across to get milk. She lived on 11 street for 50 years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I remember that if my father didn't have a product that one of his customers needed, he sent me to a nearby store to buy it. You don't see that anymore.

    ReplyDelete