Saturday, June 16, 2012

What a way to start a blog

Let me see, how should I start my first post on my newly concieved blog/website?  Unfortunately, I must begin with the rather sad news that Billie's best friend of forty years passed away last week.  The memorial for Barbara was in her church in Colombus, Ohio.
We flew there last week and met her son, Martin, and his high school cheerleading coach, Melinda at the airport.  A sudden turn of events or should I say "turn of the ankle" changed the entire day.  Instead of finishing the prepared speech Billie intended to deliver, She found herself prodded and poked by doctors in a nearby emergency room.
Billie missed a very inconspicuous step as she approached the main altar in the church falling hard causing broken bones near her ankle.
She underwent surgery to fix the injury and left for our home a few days later.
Her prognosis has mixed reviews.  Her bones can heal with the aid of screws and a plate, but she cannot put pressure on the wounded leg until about two months or more.
I will update you on any substantial progress.

3 comments:

  1. Yeah, as I was saying. Barbara died a little over a week ago. She had advanced stages of cancer in three parts of her body. She died without pain within a few days after entering a hospital for jaundice.

    Well Billie was devastated and she resolved herself to write a beautiful tribut and deliver it at her best friends memorial in Ohio. This was not to be. After entering the church she tripped on an inconspicuous step as she approached the main alter. Her fall was hard and she announced painfully, "I boke both my feet". Well doctors said she was half right. She broke and dislocated one ankle. Her stay at Ohio State University Hospital was such a pleasant experience, she mulled with the idea of retiring in Ohio. The people and cost of living far outshines that in New York.

    So after a successful operation she and I headed home to noisy, dirty expensive New York where I am writing right now.

    Her recooperation may be lengthy but we have more dear friends than we did before. I guess our trip to Ireland was trumped by Billie's trip in Ohio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great. My first blog. No one to talk with but what the hell, I can just ramble like everyone else does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. But it did help you find your writing mojo, so at least that was good.

    ReplyDelete