Saturday, July 28, 2012

Feeling blue

I lived with my brother Jack and his wife Joanne in a two level house on a peaceful little street in south Queens.   The only interruption in calmness our neighborhood suffered was the ocassional nerve-shattering clamor of low-flying airliner making its final descent to land at the nearby airport.
Early one day in late spring or was it early summer, I really can't recall. . . Let's just say the day was sunny and warm.  Anyhow, I decided to continue the project that Jack and Joanne started earlier in the week.  The result of their labors lied before me, an empty four-foot high aluminum swimming pool with a wooden deck attached.  Most of the work was completed except for two finishing touches, filling the pool with water and painting the deck.

When the water that was pouring out of our tiny garden hose reached the half way mark on the pool, I started to feel uncomfortably warm.  Yet I pressed on with a paint brush in my right hand and a gallon of royal blue paint in my left.  Or was it a paint brush in my left hand and the paint bucket in my right. . . sorry, nevermind.  I'm getting off the point here . . .

What was I saying? Ah yeah,it was hot out and I was ready to paint.


Why bother to take a break now, I unreasonably thought, the project is half finished.


However my reasonable self countered, Remember it's only 10AM and the day is sure to get even warmer


Yea, yea. . .You forget I have shorts on. My unreasonable self  chided back.


Then you're perfectly dressed to wade in that cool water instead of painting that hot deck my reasonable self jumped back in.


If I do that, my unreasonable self maintained, I won't be able to surprise Jack and Joanne with a freshly painted deck.


My reasonable self strongly implored.  Then paint, if you must.  And promise me to take your pills, you have epilepsy, don't forget.


So onward I went to that unpainted deck, thinking more quietly so my reasonable self couldn't overhear, I'll take those pills right after I put the first coat of paint on the deck.


If your angry at me right now, I don't blame you.  It takes a  fool to paint in the heat, but a bigger fool to paint in the heat and skip medicine.
Since I had thrown logic to the wind that day,  I started from the bottom step until I found myself  painted into a corner on the very top of the deck.
I looked at my goof and then unreasonably noted, "At least this is fast drying paint.


This is a gem.  My reasonable self began laughing, Stuck up there in the heat and without your medicine, huh?  Yes, yes. . . I overheard you talking to yourself again.   Just jump off there, will ya. . . I ammm daaa ya yaa . . .


Voices began to disappear, even my own.  My back suddenly felt like it was being tightly wrung out just like a dish rag and I saw myself tumble all the way down the freshly painted steps of the deck.  Then that can of royal blue paint somehow emptied its contents onto my head.
As I gradually came out of my stupor I knew I had a seizure. No broken bones, no injuries, just a face that was aglistening royal blue.  My biggest fear at the time was not being able to clean up the mess I made.  Sure I showered and scrubbed but I found it invain.   So I draped an ol trench coat around me, plopped a big hat on my head and sheepishly strolled around the corner to secure the aid of my brother where he was visiting Joanne's family.
I really don't think he was expecting the sight of a blue-covered man that stood humiliated at the door, so he   announced
"Hey everyone, a smurf. . ."


you may think that this tale taught me this lesson.
doctors prescribe drugs for a reason
if taken daily one must never ever evade.
you're wrong if you thought I learned that, my friend
cause at times I obey my unreasonable end,
and fall victim to more seizures, I'm afraid.































6 comments:

  1. Love it Jim!!! Brings us right back in time. Didn't we help put that pool together?
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank God you were o.k! It's amazing how we try and reason with ourselves, especially when we know we're wrong anyway. If you don't mind me asking, does your meds keep your seizures some what under control? Thanks for sharing~ Christina

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nowadays, thank God, I rarely have a seizure. My meds have contolled them. Every so often, I must confess, I do stupid things that sabotage their effectiveness. Let me tell you Christina, that some of the candy and food that I enjoyed so much as a child can cause an epileptic fit. Ya see, I have come to the conclusion that epileptics are like snowflakes --no two are exactly alike. I have to avoid caffeine and caffeine seems to be in lots of the foods we eat, like chocolate, most soda, and of course coffee. Hard cheeses also spur seizures in me.
    Now there are times when I can't help delving into this forbidden foods and I am spared the wrath of a seizure if I eat it in moderation but when I binge on a Yankee Doodle and a can of Coke, I may have a terribe night ahead of me. That's right, I said night. All of my seizures are nocturnal so when I have one, I never know it until I awake sitting on the floor.
    So if you know if anyone who suffers from epilepsy, tell them my story. I hope it may give them a smile/

    Love, Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I wuv you, I wuv you/Said the Little Blue Man/And scared me right out of my wits." Old song from the 50s.

    Good story! And natch, take those pills no matter ANYTHING else you do--cause I WUV YOU, I WUV you, said the little pink lady.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gonna write about the dog that ate the dishrag and what Jack said about it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Re the smoking hot story. I would have done a Bill Clinton on that one...."I did not INHALE".....then again, he "did NOT have sex with THAT woman...." Just sayin that once something is OUT THERE, it NEVER goes away!

    ReplyDelete