Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Transit Update

I was riding on the "F" train yesterday morning somewhere between Roosevelt Island and Lexington Avenue when I noticed that something wasn't quite right.  While I was leaning on one of those silver sliding subway car doors, ya know the ones that bear the warning "Please do not lean on door", I sensed something was off.

Further down in the middle of this crowded car of early morning commuters I saw a commotion starting to brew. No, it wasn't a fight, thank goodness, it was a stirring of the crowd caused by a passenger passing out. I stretched my neck and stood on my toes to see more but I was interrupted by the voices of a passenger shouting, "Press the emergency button for help! Press it now!"

Another voice asked the carload of visibly concerned riders,
"Does anybody have any chocolate?"
Immediately people were passing Hershey bars and Andes mints to the area where the voice came from. I gathered from the bits and pieces I did hear that the young woman in her early forties had fainted momentarily from lack of diabetic medicine.

The train stopped at the closest station and I saw the good samaritans who rushed to the woman's aid. Usually when an incident like this occurs one person helps.  Not yesterday. I was proud to see a majority of riders dispelled the label that New Yorkers are cold. It's so good to know that New Yorkers have learned to watch their neighbors back.

Last I saw of that young woman was when she sat recovering on the platform bench. She appeared much better and several riders shouted through the trains closing doors a heartfelt, "Good luck and be well."

And may I say to those people who extended themselves in her aid, "Bless you all.  You are my heros now."

1 comment:

  1. I've always found New Yorkers to be reserved but very, very helpful when the chips are down. There is always an angel ready to lend a cellphone or hold a door or whatever.

    I want to add a funny note to this. When you told me this AM about this incident, the chocolate part reminded me of Prof. Lupin telling Harry to eat chocolate after seeing a Dementor and fainting.

    Love your wife--Billie

    ReplyDelete