Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Dreaming of the path not taken

I naturally sleep late.  Very late.  Oftentimes, I can spend all morning dozing in bed. Some people say I am wasting my time when I could be doing something more useful. Well, if you think that, all I can say to you is: "Thanks for your concern, but not to worry.  I have this all under control."  Ya see, friend,  I am doing much more than appearing to sleep late,  I am concentrating on current events, mulling over baseball statistics, planning on new diet options, and constructing a "to do" list for the upcoming afternoon.  I'm doing all of that, only I choose to keep my eyes shut while I am doing it.     Today, however I shelved this lifestyle. I woke with a start and sat up in bed, brushed the sleep out of my eyes, and walked to the nearby window.  Then, after admiring the golden glisten on the Shannon river below, I stretched my arms and yawned to my wife still sleeping and said: " Yaaa-ee-wwwpppnnnnattttt-irrrrr-yyyand," or simply translated as: "Up n' at'em, we're in Ireland."  My wife simply rolled toward me, scratched her head, and perked up with: 
Wasn't Michael an absolute gentleman? He accepted me right away, and even wouldn't let you put our luggage in his trunk. He did it himself. Then he drove all those miles to that little tavern, so we could have a nice Irish meal. Besides, he didn't want you to pay at all.  No, he said: 'When you come to my country, you don't pay, my Nana wouldn't have it any other way. Maybe when I visit New York, you can get me back and pay.' All I can say is the "Treat" wars don't stop in Ireland. Is all your family like Michael and your brother, Jack? . . . .
     I held up both hands in surrender and found time to question. "wa . . . wa . . . wait . . . How do you do that?
     "Huh? Do what?"

     "How do you come out of a sound sleep and roll right into a conversation without missing a beat. Not even a yawn!" I was truly shocked again. "C'mon, gimme a break here. . .how do you do that?"     Billie just smiled.     "What's on the menu for today?" she asked     "Dublin.  I've been dreaming about it, all last night." I looked up from the map I had taken from the hotel lobby the night before and continued: "I have the time schedule for the next express from Limerick to Heuston Station in Dublin. We have plenty of time to make it so let's get ready now."     I checked my watch on the nightstand and saw it was only 9 AM. I was satisfied and looked forward to the rail journey to Dublin that awaited us on this most beautiful and sunny day.




1 comment:

  1. rakuspirit@yahoo.comJuly 6, 2012 at 9:17 PM

    At first I felt sadness about this, then I thought wow...keep up the positive spirit and the imagination of how it will be and it will happen.

    ReplyDelete