Saturday, July 21, 2012

Thoughts on minding "lil' buddy"

Thirty-five years ago, my brother Jack and his wife Joanne asked Billie and I to mind their young son Danny for one night.  We said sure then headed to their house.  I listened carefully to all of their directions and some sound advice after which they bade us goodnight. 

What could possibly happen?  After all, I was a grown man and my wife was with me for support. I figured I'd have a ball with my nephew.  He may have been a mere child of five but "lil buddy as I always called him, could spin a yarn with the best of them

I turned to my him and asked "Well, wha'da'ya'wanna do?'
He immediately said "Let's get a video"
I nodded and thought "what harm is that?"
The nearest store that rented videos was down the street from  P.S.100.  It was busy and it had a huge selection ranging from action to drama to mystery, not to mention a bulk of cartoons for children.

I asked lil buddy which cartoon I should rent, but he shook his head and said "none."

I was surprised, no. . . I was shocked.  That's right I was downright shocked.

"Well wha'da'ya'want?" I asked Danny.

He pointed at the far side of the store that housed science fiction. "How about this, Uncle Jimmy?

"Do your parents let you watch Freddy Kruger?" I asked.

"All the time.  I just haven't seen this one yet." he smiled.

Well we left with the store with Midnight on Elmstreet safely tucked under my arm. And we were both happy as we walked back home. I even thought "this minding thing is pretty easy."

Not an hour into the movie, lil buddy was screaming his head off in fear.  Louder and louder he cried then turned to me and shouted, "I hate you!!!"

That's when I fell apart too.

So thanks to me getting "snowed" by lil buddy, Billie had to watch two babies for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment