Sunday, July 1, 2012

Not as easy as it looks

Washing your hair is pretty straightforward, right?  Why wouldn't you take it for granted? It's simple. Just adjust the temperature of the water, put your head underneath, soap, lather, rinse, and repeat.  What's so difficult? Well today I discovered that it most certainly can be a chore. . .no, not chore, more like an acrobatic feat to perform that simple task of shampooing hair particularly when bound to a wheelchair.
Until today, Billie had used a store-bought waterless foam to clean her hair. Sure sounds like a great product, but it really can't replace a good old fashioned shampoo with water. So the goal today was to get Billie in her blue "Transformer-type" wheelchair into our tiny bathroom and somehow maneuver it around so I could spray her hair with some real honest-to-goodness water.
Our first obstacle was passing through the threshold of our tiny bathroom. It became promptly evident to me that the "Transformer" was slightly wider than the door opening. I pushed, then squeezed, then pushed some more all to no avail until Billie stood upon her good leg then lifted the Transformer, slowly entering the room. "Geez, who makes these  darn chairs?" I thought, "they sure don't make 'em to fit through doorways, I tell ya' that"
Now we approached another hurdle. And this stumbling block appeared worse than getting into the room. Remember before when I said we have a tiny bathroom? Well, I was being kind at the time. Our restroom was built many years ago when people were a helluva lot smaller. In short, we started to slide the Transformer around, knocking over the cats' dish and also spilling their water, just to position the back of the chair as close as possible to the sink.
The final stage and messiest was the simple task of washing Billie's hair. After finding myself bent over the kitty litter box, I grabbed the detachable shower spray wand from Billie's hand and prepared to commence the shampooing.
Did I mention we own cats? They were hiding a good portion of the time, but one of them (I can't remember the damn cat's name), decided to visit and sniff around at the wrong time. Billie was inching up the seat so she could put as much of her head over the sink, and I resembled someone who was losing a game of "Twister." Eventually, I sprayed the water onto her hair, then into my face, and onto my pants—water went everywhere.
Afterward, when we had moved back into the real world, I began to appreciate the fact that eight more weeks of this type of recovery isn't so godawful, especially when compared to someone who's chained to a wheelchair forever.
 

4 comments:

  1. AMEN! It was Gizmo looking for food and water. I got all wet, but it was hot out so the wet was good. As long as we didn't get enough water to leak downstairs it was literally and figuratively cool!

    Logistics and ergonomics. Why don't they have counselors to help people who must be in wheelchairs figure out how to get things done? Why do people have to figure all this crap out themselves? The stupidest simplest thing is a real chore. Fortunately, I had wheelchairs, a shower chair, and a walker from my parents. A portable crapper--no TWO portable crappers--was next on the agenda. And a grabber. That from seeing all the Hoveround ads on TV....we are well prepped for when we hit old age!

    G-d I cannot wait to be able to get up again. I want to be OUT of this CAST and on my feet again!

    Sigh....I wish we were flying to Ireland today as we had planned. Thank G-d Jimmy (aka Paddy) found this blog to keep his spirits up. Frank McC, did you walk in? Are you sharing Jimmy's body with Jimmy's regular soul? Well, hello from Billie M. Sp8 (aka Bobby D's or Bobby Zimmie's double).

    I hope Paddy will continue this blog. It's very amusing to read about our adventures as a crip couple (not the GANGS!) dealing with more crip stuff. I'm glad that our (mis) adventures are providing writing material for him.

    We both have always managed to see the lighter side of life. When I was a child, I always said I wanted to marry a man with a sense of humor. I loved watching the Candid Camera segments of The Garry Moore Show and then later on the Candid Camera show with Allan Funt. Well, I got my wish. I usually do get my wishes--although later than I wish :)

    Go, Paddy, go! Keep on writing! You got your first fan right here--your editor/writer wife! So happy, happy, happy, HAPPY that you are doing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rats I have to mention it's me Billie again. And yes, just so you all know, despite the damned name, I AM indeed a gal! It's my mom's fault that I don't have a pretty name like Brigid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your own version of Frank McCort!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There are actually rehab centers in many place whose main purpose is to teach people how to cope with missing limbs, wheel chairs, etc.

    ReplyDelete