Sunday, August 19, 2012

Always remember your third birthday

Dear Sammy

I know you are probably overwhelmed with excitement right now, from opening gift after gift after gift.  So please excuse this interruption from your uncle Jimmy.  When I was your very same age, my uncle Eddie passed on to me some sage advice that I want to pass on to you. 


He said to me "Lil' Buddy" He always called me that because I was his little buddy and  he was my best pal.  Whether you know this or not, I affectionatley called your daddy "lil' Buddy" too.  And I still think of him that way.


My uncle Eddie or should I say our uncle Eddie once gave me some advice that proved insightful.  He said "Lil' Buddy, always remember your third birthday because it is the most important year of you life."


I was perplexed, bewildered and confused. I didn't know what to say or how to respond so I shrugged my shoulders and said "Huh?"  Wait, come to think of it "Huh" was a major portion of my vocabulary back then.  Yup,  I could only say, "Mom", "Pooh-pooh", and "Huh".


My uncle explained his advice to me in great detail. He said:

"The big 3.  That's the year for serious life-shapping events. Get ready to ask yourself which political party you want to be affiliated with,  mail away for your first passport,  learn which computer platform suits you best, Apple or PC, ask your pop for spare keys to his new car, and more, much more.


So Sammy enjoy the day and have fun riding your new bike, but sorry gal, from here on be prepared to work.


Giant bear hugs and love,
Uncle Jimmy

No comments:

Post a Comment