Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tax dollars at work

My building is surrounded by a park. A huge park.  Probably one of the biggest parks in the entire city.  So it is no surprise that my tax dollars are used to fund construction companys that make major changes to and keep up the appearance of the park's landscaping.
I could understand and appreciate the idea of refurbishing the tiny memorial imbedded into the park across the street.  And I could even tolerate the facelift which a playground received behind my building, even though the job lasted for thirteen months months without fixing my favorite swing.
I can't take it anymore now. 
 


The current project underway is rediculous, juvenile, detracks from the beauty of the scenery, and is a freakin' waste of our tax dollars.  I never complained about issues like this before, they never  bothered me as much, but the job underway is so laughable it's hard for me to keep silent this time.


Everyday when I walk to work, like so many of my neighbors, I pass through a park behind my building.  Our reasoning is quite simple - can you say "shortcut?"  A small playground greets me when I enter the park and further along a lush meadow with a baseball field is speckeled with the more athletic types amongst us.  Even a few dogs race about with their owners in tow.  A little bit passed the meadow there is a small parking lot and here is where I make my shortcut even shorter.  That is until last week.  My shortcut inside my shortcut was cut short.  That is, closed due construction.  But why?


Maybe someone in charge of our tax dollars woke up on the wrong side of their bed and said, "mmmm, how can I waste more money today?  Ah yes, let's close that parking lot near Jimmy and make a road across the meadow and straight through the flowerbeds that are just blooming.  Yes, that's the ticket. Then let's buy some really expensive grass seed and feed it to the pigeons instead of using it to grow grass.  Of course, we just have to chop down some perfectly good trees in the process and re-do their new street curb so it's one half inch wider to use up the concrete I overbought last week."


Sorry to vent  but maybe you can understand my frustration.  My old shortcut is now longer , my tree house has been reappropriated as eminent domain and I am surrounded by fat pigeons.

No comments:

Post a Comment